Thursday, August 25, 2011

Semper Gumby

The Coast Guard motto is Semper Paratus, or Always Prepared.

The motto for the Coastie wives (as told to me by a fellow wife) is Semper Gumby.  Always Flexible.  I'm starting to learn just how true a motto it is.

Let me give you an example:

Mike was told a few weeks ago that he would get underway on Friday, August 19, and be gone for a week.  About a week later, the trip was called off.

Then, last Monday, the trip was back on.  Mid-week, the trip got pushed back to Sunday, the 21st.  A day later, he was leaving Saturday morning at 11:30.  A few hours after that, it was 12:15.  The changes were coming so fast we could hardly keep up.

I dropped Mike off at 12:15 on Saturday.

About 3 hours later, Mike was knocking on the door.  The Powers That Be had decided that because of the impending storm, the trip should wait.  Mike could, however, be recalled at any moment.

That moment came on Sunday at 6:26 am.

I dropped Mike off at around 7:15 that morning.

He was home by around 3:30, ready to ride out the storm with me.  He was to report back at at 6 am Monday morning in case he was needed for search and rescue after the storm.

At about 7 pm, Mike got recalled again.

I dropped Mike off at around 7:30 Sunday evening.  It was the third time in a day and a half that I had dropped Mike off at work, not knowing when I'd see him again.

Meanwhile, it's Thursday evening and Mike *should* be home tomorrow.

I really hope he'll be back tomorrow, but I'll be Semper Gumby . . . just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment