Saturday, August 13, 2011

I love what you've done with the place!

Mike and I moved into our new place on August 1.  For us, that meant packing up our suitcases and what little food we had in our little kitchen at La Concha, and driving around the corner to our new building.  In our apartment, we would wait for our new mattress and box spring to be delivered.  We would also await the cable guy who would install our phone, internet and cable DVR service.  But first we'd have to go buy a new TV.  You see, we shipped our furniture, electronics, kitchen supplies, and most of our clothing from NYC at the end of June, and none of it was expected to arrive until August 16.  Why did we move in to an empty apartment on August 1, then?  We didn't want to lose out on the apartment we loved.


This is our apartment as we moved in.  The mirrored walls were not our favorite feature, but they definitely give the allusion of a much larger apartment, and we're getting used to them.

Our guest room and master are pretty basic, but we were none too thrilled with the scuffed-up blue walls:




Mike has been going off to work every day, so I've been doing some home improving to keep me busy.  My job while he was in Baltimore this week was to paint the master bedroom and the living room.  I didn't love the idea of painting over the wallpaper in the living room, and I couldn't get the paint tub open.  I was bored, and Mike wasn't going to be home for another 3 days.  So, I started tearing down the wallpaper.  I was immediately really glad that I did.  We had a serious mildew problem.

I needed to tell Mike, but I knew he was working so I texted him instead.

L:  Don't be mad at me.

M:  What'd you do?


L:  <Insert picture in text here>

M:  . . .  <Calls Lila>

L:  I couldn't get the paint tub open, and I was bored, and . . . and . . . WE HAVE MILDEW!

M:  Alright, we'll take care of it.  Good thing you took down the wallpaper.

L:  <Sigh of relief>


Umm, yea.  We're gonna need to get this situation taken care of STAT.  Mike is now home to help, and we've started bleaching out the mildew.  

Before ripping down the wallpaper and creating a huge mess, I did get the bedroom painted.  I let Mike pick the colors and he opted for 2 shades of grey.  I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but it's definitely grown on me.   



You know you're jealous of that mirrored wall!   Seriously though, my friend, Tammy, told us that after 5 years of living in an apartment with mirrored walls, she really missed having the full-length mirror.  She's right--it's actually a really nice feature!

And, yes, that is a cardboard box being used as a bedside table for Mike.  It's a work in progress, people!

Speaking of works in progress and cardboard boxes . . . Honey, dinner's ready.  


This is where we sit down to eat when we manage to cook up a meal with our 1 pot and 1 pan.  We call it 'hobo chic.'

While we wait for our household goods to arrive, we're making do with what we've got.  But, man, we miss our stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment